Monday, March 23, 2009

Sick Kids!!

Collin had a cough for probably 3 weeks with no other symptoms. Cameron was sick before that. Then Chelsea got a fever/swollen tonsils that looked like it was possibly strep throat. Who knows what it was though. I took her into the Wahluke Clinic in Mattawa and after looking at her throat for a few seconds the doctor said "looks like it could be strep" and gave me a prescription for amoxicillin. The checkout sheet said "tonsillitis" so who knows what she had. They didn't do a strep test or anything. Some people might be fine with this but I really wanted to know if she had strep. She has had it twice before and I took her in there in December and they did the same thing. Sent her home with the Rx but no real diagnosis. I will NOT be taking my kids in there again. So after 4 more days of a low grade fever she finally got over that (although her tonsils are still swollen) and went back to school late on Thursday. That afternoon Collin came home with a fever of 101.5 and his horrible cough has continued. He had to miss his band concert which he had prepared a solo for (he plays the trumpet). We had to postpone Chelsea's 6th birthday party due to illness.

Mia keeps telling me she is sick but doesn't really seem to be. I think she just wants attention and the medicine. She love medicine for some reason. I usually give her a vitamin as her medicine. Morgan -my child that rarely seems to get more than a stuffy nose- has made it through this month healthy. Although her grumpy mornings probably make up for being sick. She is always tired and her clothes never fit right in the morning!

Collin is home sick again today with a fever of 100 and still coughing. I have called our real Dr. about Collin today but haven't heard back. It doesn't seem like something I should take him in for or get Rx for but I thought I should at least ask what I should do or if something bad is going around. And Chelsea stayed home again because she woke up this morning with tons of bug bites (I think) all over her body. She was too itchy to go to school she said. Which I can hardly blame her. I immediately washed her sheets in hot water. The strange thing is that Mia shares a bed with her and she doesn't have a red itchy dot on her.


So I know I should be thankful that my kids have only mild illnesses. But I have cabin fever! I am sick of being home. . . Not being able to plan anything right now. . . I didn't go to church. . . I haven't had a real date night in a month. I am sick of my kids being sick. I'm over it!!!!!!!!!!!! When is it going to end?


************Well, after my Mom read this post she called and asked me about the kids. She asked if I thought Chelsea's rash (it had definitly spread and didn't look like bites anymore) was an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin? I thought that if it was that it would have shown up before day 7. But after the nurse called to talk about Collin (he has an appointment tomorrow), I told her about Chelsea and she said that for sure that is what it was and that it usually takes that long for it to build up in her system and react. So she should still be rashy, and itchy tomorrow for her 6th birthday!!! Poor Chelsea.********************************

8 comments:

hatch said...

Oh I feel for you Megan. Your month sounds similar to my last few weeks too. When your kids are better we need to plan a date night. I hope the germs leave your house soon. Dylan had the cough for over a month. Yuck!

Rebecca said...

Good luck with that. I hope everyone gets better soon so you can come visit me!

D's Mix said...

It took 7 days for Rae to react to amox. also. She complained way more about the rash and being itcy, than being sick. Good luck.

Jen said...

We have been in the same boat with sick kids for weeks now. I am also over it. Holden is the last one - he is still sick. I hope everyone gets well there. Moms are so good to help with medical stuff!

Michelle said...

I'm with you...I've got cabin fever after close to 3 weeks of illness in our house. But I have been very grateful that it's cold symptoms and nothing worse.

Deborama said...

:( could it be worse? Oh yeah it could. :)

Heather B said...

Man, sorry! Sick kids are hard. There's no way around it. And poor Chelsea...but aren't moms amazing, figuring stuff out for us? It was my mom who figured out that my baby had food allergies. I never would have even thought about that. Hey, did you hear Larry and Nancy just got a mission call to Zimbabwe??

Yasmine said...

Yeah, I hear ya. The kids are finally getting over it but I still feel like death, and I'm leaving today! BTW-- your dress is perfect, thanks! See ya when I get back.