Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Favorite Flower


For lack of my own ideas and I don't want my blog to just be a journal of what we do - I have decided to get ideas of what to blog about from here.

This weeks idea is to tell what is your favorite flower and why?

I don't think I have a FAVORITE flower. I took a flower arranging class while at Ricks college and got a real appreciation for all kinds of flowers.

So here are my top picks for different reasons:
calla-lily.jpg
Calla Lilly's remind me of home in California. I was very disappointed to learn after getting married and moving to Washington that these flowers do not grow well here in my area and need lots of care - which since I'm not a gardening kind of girl, yet - I won't be planting these beautiful simple flowers any time soon.
jasmine.jpg
I also attempted to grow Jasmine in my yard in West Richland and sadly they didn't survive the winter either. I love the fragrant smell these brushes have and they also reminded me of my house in San Jose.
gerbera.jpg
Gerbera Daisy's are just the perfect thick daisy that are fun and come in lots of different colors. My girls now have lots of different silk flower clips that look like these flowers.
lavender.jpglilac.jpg Lavender and lilacs are 2 flowers that I love and that I successfully grew in my yard here in Washington. I love the look and the smell of both!
tulips.jpg
Tulips are a favorite because they remind me that spring is coming and they are beautiful and come in so many colors. And to me anything that reminds me of spring = happy! One of these years I'm going to make it to the Tulip festival over on the west side to see all the beautiful fields of tulips that come up in April.
It's always nice to receive roses from my husband (like these that were delivered last Valentine's). I will be happy to receive roses anytime. But I don't really like to grow roses either. They seem to be too high maintenance. I used to think I LOVED lily's (also in the arrangement) but have realized the past few year that although I love how they look, they just smell too strongly (stinky). So I can appreciate their beauty but don't want them in my house!

And for future reference also: Carnations are ugly and cheap and don't belong in any flower arrangement or yard of mine!

5 comments:

hatch said...

Oh bummer about the Jasmine. I just planted some last spring.... I love the way it smells.

Jenny said...

I started laughing out loud when I read the last part For Future Reference: Carnations....

I can totally hear you saying that in my head. I think you told me that when we were in college.

Nice to know about your flower likes and dislikes. I am mostly a daisy (gerbera, african, shasta, transvaal)and tulip (parrot, fringed, and cultivated) girl.
In my old age I have decided that getting flowers for rare occassions might not be that bad.

I do love to have freshly planted flowers around the yard.

Thanks for the post! It was good to hear about some of your likes and I am looking forward to more posts like this.
miss you!

Michelle said...

I've actually been to see all the tulips near Rebecca about 9 years ago. You need to go!!

Deborama said...

Be gentle.... some people like carnations! What if I said they are my favorite because my Grandmother gave me a boquet with them in it and whenever I see them it reminds me of her and how she took care of me after my traumatic dog attack where I lost both my legs! Don't you feel bad......
:)

Rebecca said...

Yep...I agree on carnations..yuck! :)